Last week on We Are Austin Tech, we caught up with Jason Cohen, Founder of WP Engine and Capital Factory Mentor. Jason has founded four companies, all profitable. Jason talks about customer development and the value of talking with customers, "The most common mistake I see startup founders make is that they refuse to interview their customers." Watch Jason's 5 minute interview."
Also, Bijoy Goswami shared his personal bootstrapping experience along with what he thinks makes a great entrepreneur. "Bootstrapping in three words: Constraints creates innovation." Learn more about Bijoy and his experiences.
Want a better hobby? We're looking for entrepreneurs, programmers, designers, marketers, salespeople and others to help mentor student entrepreneurs taking the 1 Semester Startup Class at the University of Texas this fall. All it takes is 1 hour a week. Mentor orientation happy hour is this Thursday at 6pm. If you're interested in getting involved, please fill out this form.
The SXSW Panel Picker for 2013 is open! This is your chance to have a voice in the speakers and topics at SXSW. You have until August 31 to vote. Here are a few local suggestions:
- Austin's Support for Startups and Entrepreneurs with Bob Metcalfe
- Finding Your Place in an Amazing Startup Community with Charlie Wood
- Get to your first $1 million in revenue with Jason Cohen
- The Ups and Downs of Austin’s Game Industry
- Longhorn Startup Showcase
- The Struggle with Ben Horowitz
- Getting things Done with David Allen (personal favorite!)
If you are organizing an event and want to reach 3,500+ Austin entrepreneurs, please submit the details.